Thursday, January 06, 2011

The best Lego ads ever created?


(click ads, via) The best I've ever seen, anyway. And I've seen lots—both produced and spec in students' portfolios. In fact, the first campaign I ever did in my whole wonderful life was a Lego print campaign waaay back in my second week at the School of Visual Arts. (Here are the ads, hand-drawn! Please, go mock the fucking shit out of them.)
These German ads nail it: great concept, excellent art direction and photography, and most importantly, they make you want to buy the product. These will be big winners at Cannes. Ad agency: Serviceplan, Munich. Previous Lego ads:
Sex, Drugs, Violence and Lego.
Giant Lego Coke crate man attacks Johannesburg.

9 Comments:

Blogger Manuel Simoni said...

They're really awesome and inspiring! Go Lego!

8:39 AM  
Anonymous -1-track-mind- said...

Some inquired about the 'squiggles', 'shingles', in your precocious hand drawn renderings.

My question is, why didn't you apply Letraset body copy instead... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back?

And why wasn't the LEGO logo in italic???

1:07 PM  
Blogger copyranter said...

1-t-m: I didn't comp them. I didn't know what the hell I was doing at the time. I got a job before I had to show them to anybody.

1:22 PM  
Blogger RFB said...

I like these ads - if only you could buy Legos now that didn't come in a kit with detailed instructions on how to build some dumbass police helicopter or whatnot.

They have stripped all the creativity from them.

2:43 PM  
Blogger copyranter said...

True that.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, not "True that".

First, you can still buy Lego bricks of the old school sort.

But now you can buy lots and lots of different brick-shapes, up to and including gears. They make the Lego experience a ton more fun. I know, I grew up with the old bricks, and now my children have grown up with rods and gears. The latter are a lot more involving.

PS: http://watchmakingblog.com/2010/12/13/ancient-greek-clockwork-wonder-recreated-in-lego/

3:09 PM  
Blogger copyranter said...

Thanks for the info, Dad.

3:16 PM  
Blogger cognitive dissident said...

Those ads are nice, but I much prefer the imaginative simplicity of this series from a few years ago:

http://www.brunnerworks.com/work/default.aspx?t=print&p=trex

10:02 AM  
Blogger copyranter said...

Yeah, I remember those, good also. I prefer these, by just a hair.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home