Wednesday, May 23, 2007

So, Reebok running shoes help prevent puking?


(phone kiosk on Broadway)
Yes, running and puking and then continuing to run is crazy. However, the Kenyan (probably) runner pictured is running a race where he is, most likely, competing for thousands of dollars in winnings. THAT'S WHY HE KEEPS RUNNING AFTER PUKING. Which brings me to Reebok's dubious position in the running shoe market. RUN EASY? Are Reebok's shoes made better than other running shoes? No. Are Reebok's running shoes lighter than say Asics or Nike running shoes? No. Are they cheaper than other running shoes? No. In fact, their average price point is higher than many other brands. So, you're not really helping me at all "run easy" are you, douchebags? Which is why you put ZERO product benefits in these ads, I guess. But hey, thanks for the heads up. I will run easier. In my Brooks.
(Reebok is also the bunch of idiots who introduced pink NHL jerseys for girls/women.)
previously in specious sports marketing:
1. Reebok's new ad messaging: We Know You Suck!
2. Johnnie Walker. Official Sports Drink of the New York Yankees.
3. Taglines are DUMB: New York Knicks.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Their slogan should be "I am what I am. Fat."

And it's spelled "Kenyan."

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the type of guy who likes to smoke a blunt and go for a 3 mile run. These ads speak to me. I don't hate them. I prefer New Balance though.

10:54 AM  
Blogger copyranter said...

anon, 3-5 is it for me. I ain't a crazy runner either.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Every time I see these ads, I'm thankful I don't own a pair of Reeboks anymore.

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you ever see me running, it’s because either a tidal wave or a fucking T-Rex is chasing me.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Middle Name: Stanley said...

This is guy clearly participating in the Drunken Olympics. I, as well as my friends, are Drunken Olympians. I would consider this high-performance, puke-resistant shoe.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Can we also discuss their pathetic attempt at determining ROI? Not in this ad, but in the others?

For example, "Text BrthEZ to 1234." (Or some shit like that).

Some ad flack is taking it in the ass from Reebok's higher-ups because, oddly, no one's texting BrthEZ to 1234...thus meaning that the ad's ineffective.

I mean, don't get me wrong--it is inneffective, but you hardly need a failed text message program to figure that out.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what the ad is supposed to say besides the guy is an idiot to keep running while ralphing.

8:26 PM  
Blogger New York Punk said...

I am pretty sure in a years time, they will have a "run hard" campaign. With the same headlines.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Krystha said...

I love Brooks running shoes!! and yeah--the only thing reebok is good for is the black high tops that were really cool in like the 4th grade.

1:08 PM  
Blogger RFB said...

Running + At all + Ever = Not for me.

Bicycles, people, bicycles.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I now have Reebok = puke branded into my brain. And I have a stomachache.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wtf?

seriously...

to take running
and cram it into an equation with
puking and (being) crazy

and then (adding insult to injury)
to suggest running can be easy


fuck you reebok
you managed to convey every single moving part of an eating disorder, mock it in some beyond-meta way, denigrate your core audience and misrepresent every aspect of the subject.

and you sucked all life out with the black and white (straight out of Seventeen magazine circa April 86) picture, layout, copy.

this may be a good time to declare you a douche.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

I'm not a serious runner, but I'd much rather 'just do it' than 'run easy'. No more Reeboks for me - ever.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when you are going to buy running shoes then you should check your convenience whether it is fitted to you or not..so its really an excellent idea to know your own feet..you can also find more about running shoes in this site..http://www.excellentshoes.com

3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home