Tuesday, August 05, 2008

New Zealand looking for a few good...Tetris players.


(click ads for closer look)
Officer recruitment ads for the New Zealand army (here's a third one). Well uh, Tetris is one of the biggest time-wasters in the history of humanity. And, I guess (somebody please help me here), the Kiwi defense department thinks that people who are obsessed with fucking Tetris would make good leaders(?) because, um, I think...I think...I...DON'T HAVE A FUCKING CLUE! Jesus, the first ad up there has wounded soldiers on stretchers! Way to go, Captain! Your company got massacred—but at least you arranged the casualties in neat little Tetrominoes! Here's a fucking gold star! Previously in armed forces advertising:
UK army recruitment ad looks like a black body bag; Me Tarzan. You Jane. Army Strong™. Commercial Weak; an Army of One Model/Actress; and Sweden's bizarre officer recruitment TV spots.

7 Comments:

Blogger llcooljessie said...

WTF?

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is ridiculous. They're almost as bad as the fake New Zealand tourism ads featured in Flight of the Conchords (e.g., "New Zealand - don't expect much, you'll love it!").

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I laugh out loud at a lot of your writing.

So, thanks for injecting a little humor into my workday.

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh guilty...I love Tetris.

It's a lot like life, but I'm better at Tetris.

Trying to piece together a bunch of shit you don't need to make something for credit.

I wish life had more geometry that fit.

I can see where leadership
comes in: The Peter Principle.

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well... urban legend (true or false, I dobn't know) has it that Tetris was developed by the military to train quick thinking and solution finding.
There's your explanation.

2:11 AM  
Blogger Middle Name: Stanley said...

Wait a minute! I thought the Russians developed Tetris! Shit.

11:48 AM  
Blogger spencer said...

I don't know either - maybe it's a "put down the goddamn game controller and do something Big and Important and Useful with whatever time you have left" kind of message?

Regardless, if it's got people puzzling this long over it, it isn't effective.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home