Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Gate leads nowhere...

The Gate Worldwide is an ad agency. Watching agencies trying to advertise themselves is really a lotta fun. You’d think they’d be good at it, yes? Uh, no, not so much.
Maybe you saw this abomination in the New York Times a couple weeks back. You most certainly didn’t read the copy. Let me sift through the hooey-imbued marketing yakkety-yak for you.
Here, The Gate is killing sacred cows that are already dead and have been for, oh, about 40 years. The copy reads like it was done by a junior account executive giddily writing his first “ad.” Seriously, even I was surprised: there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING new here. Yet it still manages to be condescending:
“Having a good idea is one thing. Selling it is another. And that, young grasshopper, has implications, too (italics mine).”
Jesus. So Fucking Bad. I went to their site and looked at their print work (the best way to see how agencies think). Completely honestly—if their work was sent to me by a headhunter, I'd never use the headhunter again.

7 Comments:

Blogger A said...

are you kidding? that is sooooo edgy.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cow & Gate...geddit?

No?

OK.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Mike Bawden said...

Oh, I get it ... guns, beef, murder and advertising.

Uh. I don't get it.

Never mind.

2:02 AM  
Blogger Maulleigh said...

I used to work at a SMALL manhattan agency and the head guy was NUTS and used to write ad copy like this all day long and think he was some sort of renegade but he was old and toothless and no one paid attention to him. Last I heard he was living in a mens shelter heating campbells on a hot plate. He's like Susan Powter thinking he's got something new to sell the dieters but when you get to the meat of her book, it's all "eat less and exercise more." If the gate has something new to sell, I'm sure it'll be all the rage. But it's not. I hate them so much I can scream.

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

susan powter. excellent! made my day. start the insanity...

www.susanpowteronline.com

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess they don't want any Hindu clients. They should put out a series of these ads: Death to Jesus, with a bullseye on Jesus' forehead, Death to Muhammad, etc.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Curiouspencil said...

When I first started out, the term was 'kill your darlings'; over years of self-misinformation I transmogrified it to 'kill your babies,' and will be in touch with this agency shortly with a glaring new approach to self aggrandaisment.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home