Friday, May 19, 2006

It's Fucking Friday.

I'm sick of advertising today. I mean, who are we kidding? It all sucks. Instead, I want to relay to you this inspirational tale of Hope. A brief bittersweet story out of New Zealand (here's the link) that reminds us of both the frailty and the power of Life. After reading it earlier this week, I gently wept myself to sleep. Did you have a goldfish or 2 (or 20) when you were a child? Then you know how delicate they can be. Basically, these little members of the carp family immediately go belly up if you feed them or tap on the glass or look at them. But not Nemo here. He lived in a fucking filthy ditch for five fucking days after being swept from a beautiful backyard pond by terrifying floodwaters. His two best friends dead, Nemo could have burbled "fuck it." But instead he gurgled "I WANT TO LIVE!" Now, even though Nemo has more than probably since died, he breathed new life into me. I head into this spring weekend ready to swim up any stream. To punch any shark in the snout. To eat some fresh, grilled fish. When I do, I will hold up my drink and say "Banzai Nemo." Banzai.
previously:
IT'S FRIDAY
IT'S FRIDAY (well my Friday)
IT'S FRIDAY AGAIN.
IT'S FRIDAY YET AGAIN.
SEX MACHINE FRIDAY!!!
IT'S MASHUPS FRIDAY!!!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whenever I hear people hold ads to some standard I wonder, "what the hell are the -good- ads?"

11:52 AM  
Blogger Audrey. said...

Saw this horrifying Terminix ad on weather.com this morning. It brightened my Friday, perhaps it will aid yours.

http://www.terminix.com/

1:53 PM  
Blogger dancing at gunpoint said...

That story is a thing of beauty. And another reason to believe in the healing power of living in ditches.

2:31 PM  
Blogger David said...

I had a whole fuckload of sushi last night. When I dump it out later, I'll nod silently to the bowl and say a little prayer for Nemo, recognizing him for instilling a new sense of beauty in my life, and thanking him, and fish everywhere, for their tastiness.

4:06 PM  
Blogger copyranter said...

Thanks, anon. this morning I visited a pet store and secretly turned the goldfish tank heater up to max. killed them all, I'm sure. feel much better.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my boy!!!

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure you didn't mean Kampai instead of Banzai?!

10:07 PM  
Blogger copyranter said...

No, I most certainly meant, however wrongly, "BANZAI!!!"

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home