Monday, January 08, 2007

"I'm sorry you all suck."

New Yorkers, do you ever scan those box ads on the back page of the Village Voice? Well, you probably don't do it as obsessively as I do. I believe these ads, week-in and week-out, offer very keen insight into the state of the City. This one is from last week's paper. The number is unlisted. When you call, you get a recording of a woman telling you that this is a service "to make you feel better." You have three minutes to record whatever you want. I called identifying myself as Donny Deutsch and, instead of going into specifics (would've taken too long), I apologized for everything I've ever done. I did feel better afterwards.
update: an anon commenter says this is part of the apology project.
update: another commenter notes the typo "for for")
previously in crazy NYC:
1. NYC window displays—Zamir furs.
2. I GLOVE NEW YORK
3. The Great Wall of New York.
4. Always use black type, sweetheart.
5. President William Jefferson Clinton never looked better.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'm sorry for that mysterious gas odor that we'll never admit to, even though we knew all about it from the get start, because we want everyone to think we're still 'On it' like our cheesy, douchebag ads promise." --anonymous Con Ed worker.

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.apologyproject.com/
There is also a This American Life story about it. It is kind of like postsecret, except without the terrible art and the sucking. The people who called were truly fucked up.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get it. You apologize into what? thin air? No response? No absolution? How can this possibly provide release and relief? Talk about loneliness!

12:06 PM  
Blogger copyranter said...

thanks for the info, anon.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about they apologize first. For failing to proof thsi simple ad. "Apologize for for anything..." Geez.

7:15 PM  
Blogger copyranter said...

nice catch, stickler.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if they're connected with the apology project. They might just be copycat apologists.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd LOVE to fuck your wife. Oh, sorry. (Not really.)

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just called it. My favorite part is when the lady tells you if "your apology is lengthy, simply hang up and call back to continue".

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

about a month ago i called this number to confess...the next day i woke up with rosary beads in my lady parts

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate you. I'm sorry. I do.

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is you?

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home