Thursday, December 10, 2009

Could we PLEASE leave those dead Marines alone...please?

(click ad, via) Listen: I am not a patriotic American. I'm burning a box of flags right now under my desk to keep my feet warm. But I'm just tired of worldwide advertisers bleeding that iconic and tragic WWII Iwo Jima photo (three of the six soldiers were later killed in the battle). France has done it in the name of beach pollution. South Africa has done it to sell newspapers. Even an American luxury jet company pathetically usurped it. This time: it's to promote a December AIDS benefit clothing sale in Paris. Note that Old Glory has been replaced by a pair of women's panties with a red ribbon attached. Granted, a very good cause. But still. Agency: BETC Euro RSCG in Paris.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sabina E. said...

Wow, WTF. Using the Marines' image to sell clothes, that's f--king wrong on so many levels. It's such a huge SLAP IN THE FACE for the Marines who have died fighting for our nation!!! Now I feel enraged and pissed off.

My friend, a Marine, is going to Afghanistan next month for the first time and I'm so worried...

11:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This image has also been used recently to promote (of all things!) summer activities in Perth, Western Australia. I think it's a family trying to erect a beach umbrella! I'll try and find an image.

D.

2:06 AM  
Blogger copyranter said...

Please send if you find, thanks.

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are being patriotic...

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home