Tuesday, July 22, 2008

HA HA Egypt! Ha?


(click ads for closer look)
Regular readers of copyranter know I hate babies, children, and parents. But I certainly would never hurt a child. Or cook a child. So, I'm having a really hard time digesting the supposed humor of these ads for Bayer's Bepanthen first aid cream via ad agency JWT in Cairo, Egypt. The translated headline reads: "Heals their burns and your guilt, fast." O...K. Did these Egyptian Moms just finish reading Swift's A Modest Proposal? related: about.com's stupid pregnancy wordplay; today's lesson: the "C" words; Jake, the 13-year-old alcoholic; and NEVER SHAKE A BABY! update: do these ads alarm or amuse you? Go vote your opinion in an online poll. UPDATE: JWT Worldwide contacted me and said that these ads were not produced by any office of JWT and were not approved by Bayer. They've been removed by AdsOfTheWorld, the source.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did hear about this?
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,303736,00.html

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the playful expressions on rotisserie-baby and baby-kabob really ups the creepiness ante.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh m'god. These are hilarious. I'm sorry, just fantastic.

Yay! Your boilerplate curmudgeoney can't even touch it.

But thanks for posting!

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does the Bayer Corp own KC Masterpiece? 'Cause it looks like someone might have gotten the accounts confused.

11:30 PM  
Blogger copyranter said...

seeum: you don't know your ads from a hole in the ground.

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Horrific for advertising purposes, but the graphics themselves are very appealing. I wouldn't mind having a few of these whimsical art pieces hanging on my walls! (I also hate children)

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad the mom is wearing a bathingsuit as she may want to go for a swim later that afternoon.

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The elevator lobby in my office is stuffed with child models and their pimps right now. They're auditioning for photo shoots, and they are loud, sticky and smelly. I'm thinking the folks at the agency in Egypt had a fairly typical experience just prior to creating these ads.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Sabina E. said...

that is so awesome and hilarious!!

3:10 PM  
Blogger jiji said...

maybe medea is popular in egypt?

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they're really creepy, though I can't help but think the illustration style is funny. I think it's the fact that they're using them for advertising that really creeps me out.

Plus recently here in Seattle a guy passed out in his yard and somehow his baby rolled/fell into the firepit and burned to death. So, um...

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.box.net/public/9ck1p12yq5#

6:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like children,
Yes, I do.
Baked, broiled
Or in a stew.
(from the late, great Shel Silverstein [I think])
copyjock@yahoo.com
Chicago, IL

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home